Welcome To Jamestown Community College Placement Testing Registration
Please read the following important information about placement testing before continuing.
All new full-time students are required to take the placement exam unless they qualify for one of the following exemptions. New part-time students are strongly encouraged to take the test and must take it prior to enrolling in any course that has a reading or writing prerequisite, unless they qualify for one of the exemptions.
- Student has a degree (associate's, bachelor's or master's.)
- Student has transfer or advanced placement credit for ENG1530 and transfer mathematics credit If a student has credit for ENG 1530 OR mathematics he/she must still take the other portion of the placement test.
- Students who provide written documentation from their high school that they placed in the top 10% of their class are exempt from the reading and writing portion of the placement test. Top 10% students still need to take the math portion of the placement test unless they have met at least one of the conditions needed for a math placement test waiver.
- Student may waive JUST the math portion if he/she is currently enrolled in or has passed either Precalculus or Calculus - NOTE: student will still need the reading and writing portion of the placement test.
- Students who score between a 70-79 on the Accuplacer reading placement test may be eligible to use a reading waiver for the reading requirement if they have met one of the following additional criteria:
- Documentation of SAT reading score 500+ within the last 3 years of starting semester
- Documentation of ACT reading score 21+ within the last 3 years of starting semester
- For NYS students, documentation of Global Regents 85% + within the last 2 years of starting semester
Students must provide proof of one of the above criteria to the placement test coordinator on appropriate campus to meet the reading waiver.
- Student is auditing a course.
Test descriptions and sample questions can be found here.
A guide to taking the placement test can be found here
Additional math placement test preparation resources can be found here
If you have a disability and require special testing accommodations, contact the disability support services office, on the Jamestown Campus, 716.338.1251, or the Cattaraugus County Campus, 716.376.7544.
Coming from a distance? If you live more than 90 minutes away from the college and want to have the test proctored closer to where you live please email WendyBurns@mail.sunyjcc.edu to discuss this possibility.
Please plan to allow for 3 hours to complete the placement test. This assessment will determine what classes you start with at Jamestown Community College; it is important you take it seriously. Choose a date and time you will be able to give it your attention and concentration.
If you have further questions please call one of the following locations:
- Cattaraugus County Campus 716.376.7508
- Jamestown Campus 716.338.1065
- North County Center 716.363.6500
- Warren Center 814.723.3577